Monday, January 30, 2012

How do I give my autistic son a haircut?

My son is autistic. He will not let anyone touch his hair, and it is even difficult to brush his hair, and dangerous to cut it because he fights so hard. I cannot cut his hair while he is asleep at night or during a nap because he is a light sleeper. His hair is way too long and I need to do something. Any ideas?How do I give my autistic son a haircut?
Can you have someone come to your home and do it so he is in a more comfortable environment, maybe at a time of day that is usually best for him. I may be easier if he sits on your lap while it is done with an award waiting for him! The only autistic child I know has IMO a fairly mild case and his mother is a hair dresser so it must not bother him!!How do I give my autistic son a haircut?
Is there something that he gets completely engrossed in, that he wouldnt much notice what you were doing?


My daughter can watch a certain video and i can brush her hair. It also works when i sing songs with her. Its like she doesnt notice im doing it. This is how i cut hers. also dangly objects work for her too..
Let him hold the electric clippers and guide his hands over his head. Some spectrum kids like different types of stimulation and the vibration might help calm him. You'll end up with a shorter hair cut then you wanted probably, but it will grow back.
Have you tried using clippers with a safety guard? My cousin is autsitic and she loves colors and light shows. You could try using one of those lamps that has different colors to display? GOOD LUCK!!

No comments:

Post a Comment