Monday, January 30, 2012

What is the best way to give a haircut to an autistic child?

He has a fit when we get within a block of shop. Kicks and screams during process. I've had people want to call DHR because of how I hold him to get these reluctant stylists to do a half-way job for a 100 percent tip.What is the best way to give a haircut to an autistic child?
My neighbor down the street has an autistic four-year-old. From what I've seen, I'd think your son might take it better if you had a hairstylist come to your house to cut it. (This would also prevent an embarrassing scene). Perhaps after finding a suitable stylist, you could have them over for dinner often before the first appointment. This would allow your son the opportunity to get used to the stylist and the stylist would know the situation and what they'd have to work with. (They may even have suggestions of how to distract him during the process). I hope you find something that works!What is the best way to give a haircut to an autistic child?
Sedatives! Lots and lots of sedatives!
maybe try to cut his hair when he is sleeping.
you have to have reinforcers for the kid
Calm Him Or Her Down The Best You Can.
I had this same problem when my son was younger.


I gave up taking him to a shop and instead did it myself.


I first started by taking him outside, then cutting off a little bit of hair and letting him blow it out of my hand (like kids blow on dandalions). The hair would blow all over. For whatever reason he liked it and the only way to get to do it again was let me cut more hair off. I then started using clippers. It worked for me, maybe it will work for you. good luck
do it yourself with one of those hair clipper things (with the guard thingy on it) promise him ice cream if he sits still and then give him ice cream immediately afterward if he sits still...
Stop taking him to the shop and do it yourself!


If he misbehaves at home throw him into an ice cold shower and let him scream until he is calm again! A few of these ice cold showers will end this bad behavior!
I have an autistic brother, and generally giving them something to do calms them down. Autistic people are also very strict about routines, and when their routines are broken, then can be very upset. Try making it a point to have his hair cut at the same time of the month each month, so that he expects it, and tell him many times beforehand (starting a few days before) that on such-and-such a day he is going to get his hair cut. If he can read, make a written schedule and have all the things he is going to do for the day written on it, and have him cross them off as they are completed.
find a hairdreser that will come to ur home. It may be easier if he's in a comfortable place.good luck
I can see where that would be hard to do but .you mite find a friend that cuts hair and let them get to know the boy and he feels comfortable around them. let him know its alright show him some pictures of different hair cuts let him choose the one he likes. let him know it will make him look great .
  • beauty secrets
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment